Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Exploitation of Self... and others.

Over the years, I've realized that there are many people on this Earth who will stop at nothing to make a buck.  While I understand their entrepreneurial spirit, this week I have seen more than I'd like of new lows.  First, I've blogged before about the impracticalities of The Biggest Loser, but the recent uproar in the media with Tara Costa, The Biggest Loser 2009 contestant and her endless legal battles, really upset me.  Not that she is exploiting her reality TV show fame, though there is that, it's the selling of her image and the "fired because she gained weight" part that outrages me.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2546539407001/biggest-loser-tara-costa-on-getting-sued-for-weight-gain/?playlist_id=937116503001

I must note, I hate the way this male Fox reporter questions her and gets her on the defensive. He bullies her. "Lead a positive, healthful lifestyle." says Costa, and I wish her the best with becoming a physical education teacher.  Let's hope the government moves to bring back physical education is ALL school. What outrages me is that she has to defend her weight.  But to add insult to injury she had a lawsuit with him in the first place, and clearly, all this is about is money and her body image.

On the juxtaposed, we have Tammy Jung, but in the same arena of money earners who don't mind exploiting themselves for a dime:

http://js.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2321812/Tammy-Jung-23-feeds-5000-calories-day-funnel-hope-obese-internet-star.html

No.  Words.

"My career ambition is to become as popular as possible and I hope I just continue to make lots and lots of money."  

It's hard to understand why someone who was not obese would want to become obese for profit to me. I realize my moral upbringing does influence the way I define appropriate behavior.  As a counselor, self awareness is essential, however, I don't think this is me viewing my moral code through a foggy lens. My therapist's intuition is that there is much more deep-seeded conflict in this young lady's life that we are not hearing the story on.  While I understand mental health issues, I don't understand why one would deliberately deteriorate their health for money.  It's JUST MONEY.  It means nothing in the end.  The quality of your life right now is ALL YOU HAVE.  I could go on about this, but I won't.  It will just upset me and make me feel helpless because I can't do anything for her.

Next up, Let's talk about the BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA.  Do they need anymore bad press coverage?  Seems to me they are looking for it.  I can't understand WHY they would ostracize the young adolescents members that need them the most.  http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/risk_factors.aspx
And I quote, "Excessive body weight increases risk for numerous health problems. To ensure the best experience, Scouts and Scouters should be of proportional height and weight. One such measure is the Body Mass Index (BMI), which can be calculated using a tool from the Centers for Disease Control here: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/ . Calculators for both adults and youth are available. It is recommended that youth fall within the fifth and 85th percentiles. Those in the 85th to 95th percentiles are at risk and should work to achieve a higher level of fitness."

Umpfhhh... So, you mean to tell me that overweight and obese male adolescents wouldn't benefit in the reduction of their excess weight by participating in scouting?  Seems to me to go against their motto: On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

If "a Scout" is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent-- aren't they also NOT A BULLY.  Don't they their peers with respect and help them to improve themselves together?  Let's outcast the overweight and obese kids, not include them so they can feel lonely and discluded from normal adolescent activities. You know what happens when kids are ostracized, lonely, and discluded from physical activity?  They show increased depression, anxiety, anger and lethargy.

How does that solve the obesity epidemic?

It doesn't.

It does nothing to move society forward and away from obesity.  It encourages bullying.

And while I'm on the topic of bullying and people asking you for your money.  Please do not join "secret groups" on Facebook that ask you to spend $49.95 for support.  There's plenty of free support and weight ins available from your peers.  When someone asks you for money for their support, they are no longer your peer, you are their customer.  All you are to them are $$, when you stop giving them $$, they will likely no longer support you. They might even bully you when you aren't successful.  Is that what you really need when you are down in the dumps and seeking help because you fell off the wagon?

No.

I didn't think so either.

Now, I must go do the duty.  A solid hour at the gym, every single day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment