Friday, July 5, 2013

A Recipe and a Thought

Wedding Cake Protein Shake

1 scoop of Vanilla Pure Protein (By far my favorite economical protein supplement, available at Sam's Club for $20 for 20 servings)
1/2 c. Greek Yogurt (Great Value brand, non-fat is 11g protein @ 60 calories)
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. almond extract
3/4 c. Almond Milk (Blue Diamond, unsweetened original or unsweetened vanilla @ 30 calories per cup)

Blend with ice. Drink or pop in the freezer for a few hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so. Great alternative to ice cream! Stir in some chopped almonds and frozen raspberries for a low calorie, high protein meal.

A "meal," what does that mean anymore? 

As a pre-op, a meal consisted of several items to me. There was a meat, a veggie, a carb and a drink. I am happy to say that I have moved away from all sodas long before weight loss surgery (though, I was never much of a soda drinker to begin with) and exclusively drink water or unsweetened coffee or tea. Even since the LapBand was removed, I continue to not drink during meals. But a "meal" becoming 10 or 12 oz. of a protein shake, still is really not a meal to me. I never adopted the thought that these "meal replacements shakes" were going to be my way of life. I'm too much of a foodie.

This shake really helps to sort out my negative feelings about giving one of my favorite things up. Wedding cake. I am a sucker for it, sugar free wedding cake snowballs are my favorite summer treat. Now, this Wedding Cake ice cream or protein shake is a go to "meal" for me, any day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment